Queer In Manga and Anime

Learning about my mother, and myself, through 2017’s most ...

This week I read the first 2 chapters of My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness by Kabi Nagata, and needless to say, it is super relatable. mainly the main character is struggling through anxiety and depression followed by eating disorders and the desire to make her parents and people around her proud. During the manga, she'd get some sort of accomplishment or a small victory. Unfortunately either her parents wouldn't be impressed, or her mental illness would get the best of her. I understand how she feels completely with what she's dealing with as a queer myself, who also has a mental illness (plus the self-punishing guild of not doing anything when it acts up). I have also done things she's done to cope (Not the self-harm other than not eating). So reading a manga with the accurate portrayal of a character struggling with being a queer with a mental illness, and not a romanticized version of it, was a refreshing read.

Comments

Popular Posts