"Kiss Kiss Fall in love" Oran High School Host Club by Hatori Bisco

oran high school host club | Tumblr

For this weeks reading I read the first volume of Oran high school host club. I heard of this series growing up but never really was interested, I'm still not to be perfectly honest. In all fairness, I like Shonen and comedy manga/anime more, it's just more entertaining to me. What's even better if its a mix of shonen and comedy manga ( ie. One Punch Man). So having sappy "sempai notice me" xy and z are just...I guess annoying?

Plot of Vol 1 (as I gather it)

The main character is Haruhi who transfered into Oran High school and was looking for a quiet place to study in the library when they stumble upon the Host Club of the school. The host club is a place where the 6 beautiful high school boys have free time and serve the beautiful girls who have free time. Haruhi upon meeting them knocks over an 8 million dollar vase that the club was going to sell so as punishment they have to join the host club and bring in 100 new girls to the club to pay off their debt ( the amount within the first volume fluxes from random events, most that are unreasonable. I guess they were added for humor, but it's really not that funny. I guess I might be funny to middle schoolers, but I don't know. I just might be super outdated too.) within the first chapter, after the members of the club, show Haruhi their "techniques" of getting girls they find out Haruhi himself is also a girl. (but she doesn't mind presenting herself as a girl, because she can get the job done faster) in the next chapter apparently, time has significantly pasted and its Christmas and they're planning for the winter host club party. we also find out Haruhi's "technique" which is called "normal" because its literally her being herself (which for some reason that's a huge feat?). On the final chapter, It introduces two new characters Renge and Kyoyasama. Renge mainly calls everyone out at the club for pulling their techniques on the girls and that they need to be more than one trick ponies ( which was a good take....somewhat)it mainly was taken on as "we'll do a show and be dynamic on camera for the girls to like us like movie stars"

OK SO...
I have many issues with this manga. First of all, I absolutely HATE the upper class "treat middle class like shit" "omg you use a bus?" attitude that's going on. They call her a peasant nonstop, and it rubs me COMPLETELY the wrong way. I hate it but maybe that's the point, I don't really know. Second, the weird playful sexual harassment between the characters and the WEIRD SEXUAL TENSION BETWEEN THE TWINS IS VERY UNCOMFORTABLE. I know its just the first volume but asking Haruhi is she likes pedophilia, which ISNT ok,
And the weird addition of Renge (her being delusional and not helping the positive look of females at all other than Haruhi. As of right now they really didn't need to add her in. She could have been a strong-willed person and encouraged the boys to be themselves but nope), and all the other nonsense that unfolds in the manga, really makes me happy that manga has grown since this. Thank god

But there's still probably stuff out there that's new that's like this. I wouldn't doubt it.









Comments

Popular Posts